Proposed changes to the Home Instruction COMAR
Click here to read TEA’s assessment of the proposed Home Instruction COMAR changes and read the full text of the proposed language.
The TEA office will be closed the week of Thanksgiving: November 23 to November 27.
Fall is here in all of its glory! What a terrific season we are enjoying this year. But, can it really be November all ready? Before we know it, Thanksgiving will be here with all of its feasting, and that means a quick slide into the December holiday season. It all happens too fast! It’s hard work keeping up with everything when time flies by so quickly. Some of our seniors are taking a big sigh of relief now that their early action college applications are in. Others are busy making final college visits, writing essays, and submitting applications Juniors, make sure you do your college research in earnest this year, make college visits and schedule testing as needed. And, all TEA teens, if you did not take the career and temperament assessments in advance of our Career Exploration Day, please take them soon to help guide your future education and career plans.
Another note for our Incred16le Class of 2016: Be looking for information about the Senior Class Trip that is set for May, plus lots of other senior year activities arranged by your cohort. You won’t want to miss out on all of the fun and excitement of this special year! Graduation registration details will be on the TEA website soon. Go Class of 2016!!
Enjoy the beautiful autumn weather while it’s here!
Note to Inquiring Families: Limited enrollment is still available. Please contact TEA as explained below.
Are you interested in learning more about how The Excelsior Academy supports families and students in their education endeavor? Then please take time to read the information on our website to learn about our enrollment options, and our activities and services specifically for 7th to 12th graders, including college admission counseling. If you would like more information, please submit the information requested using the online inquiry form under “Enrollment", and I will reply as soon as my summer/early fall schedule allows. Using this online form is the only way inquiring families can get a reply from my office. I look forward to chatting with you!
The Excelsior Academy
The Excelsior Academy (TEA) is a highly respected home education oversight program registered with the Maryland State Department of Education to provide legal oversight to Maryland homeschool students. It is directed by a home education professional with 30 years experience in the field. TEA knows that each child deserves a truly individualized learning experience and gives families the freedom to create a learning program that best meets their child's needs while fully complying with all State regulations. TEA is supportive of all homeschool methods, from traditional to whole child-centered, and has no religious affiliation requirements.
What are people saying about TEA?
- Thank you so much for all that you do!!! I feel so blessed to have found The Excelsior Academy, and just in case you ever forget, you are making life and homeschooling infinitely better for all the families who have come after you!
- Again, I can't begin to tell you what a wonderful experience TEA has been. You have been so wonderful in providing information and any and all help we have needed both academically and emotionally. Your knowledge extends to all aspects of education. You have been truly invaluable!
- One of the best things about you is your ability to make us feel that the world is open to us and all we have to do is reach for it. :) My daughter was smiling from ear to ear when we finished and I felt very relieved also.
- Thank you for all you do. You always make things special and fun for the kids. We love your attitude and enthusiasm.
- You are ever so thoughtful and making people feel so welcome. And as always, it was so great to see your smiling face and feel the exuberant presence you bring to a room. We as TEA families are blessed to have you as our "fearless leader".
- Thank you so much for a wonderful graduation celebration today! My family and I were so impressed with how warm and intimate the commencement ceremony was. My mother in law even commented that this was the "best" graduation she has ever attended (and she has been to quite a few for her grandchildren. I am extremely honored to be a part of The Excelsior Academy family.
- Thanks for all you did for us. Homeschooling was the best decision we could have made.
- You words of encouragement kept me going many a day.
- Our homeschool community is so blessed to have you as a leader. The love and dedication you give to each and every kid is just amazing!
- I remember last summer when I was thinking about doing this and full of fear - you said "if you do this, I guarantee when we talk next year you'll tell me your son is happier, is making friends and things are working much better." Well, you were completely right. Your words stuck with me and it has all come true. I'm taking it a year at a time - but I must say I can't really see myself ever sending him back to traditional school. We'll see, but for now, this is working!! Thanks a bunch